Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Getting Fit in 2010

Since October I have implemented a lifestyle change. For too long, I have been out of shape and it wasn't until a recent doctor's visit that changed all of that.In October I decided I was going to get serious about getting fit and losing weight. I'm glad to say that I have been consistent for the past 3 months losing 12 lbs so far and am well on my way to my goal. How did I do it? 3 things:

1. Increase exercise - I work out for 30 minutes at least 3 days per week.
2. Decrease fat - I read labels and watch the fat percentage from calories and make sure it is less than 30% of total.
3. Change Behavior - I allow 30 seconds between bites.

I also chart my daily activity. At the end of the week I can see how well I'm doing. This gives me the encouragement I need to keep going because I see the results.

I believe there is a correlation with our spiritual fitness. How often do we feel lethargic in our spiritual walk? maybe we feel like we are carrying around too much extra weight or burdens? We just feel out of shape spiritually. I think the answer can be found in doing the same 3 things for our spiritual fitness.

1. Increase your exercise - Work out your spiritual muscles by reading your Bible at least 3 times weekly. The best time for me to do my physical workout is first thing in the morning. Matthew 6:33 says, "Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness". Put your faith into action by serving in your church or in the community. Get involved somewhere. get moving instead of just sitting around expecting to be in spiritual shape.

2. Decrease fat - We all have things in our life that are not healthy for us. Excess fat can block and clog blood flow in our lives. What are the "fatty" things that might be blocking the flow of God's Spirit in our life? The spiritual battle is over our thoughts. What are we thinking about as we watch TV, look at the internet, listen to the radio, etc? What do we need to decrease in order to experience more of God's presence?

3. Change Behavior - The Bible says we are to repent, which means to turn from our ways and turn toward God. Slow down from doing so many things and just be. We don't have to earn our salvation. It is a free gift, but we do need to produce fruit of God's Spirit; things like love, joy, peace, patience, and self-control. Only the transforming power of God's love can shapoe and mold us into the person He wants us to be.

I have found that journaling is a great way to chart my spiritual progress. For those times that I get discouraged, I can read back over my journal and be reminded that God is still at work in my life - even though I may not be seeing any immediate results.

Philippians 1:6 says, "I am confident of this, that the one who began a good work among you will bring it to completion by the day of Jesus Christ". The point for me is that as long as I do not give up, God is the one who will complete my transformation. So whether you are wanting to get in physical shape or spiritual shape, keep persevering and stay faith. You will see results.

No comments: