Tuesday, July 13, 2010

What I Can Control

There is a story in the Old Testament about the prophet Samuel who anoints Saul the first king of Israel. King Saul is leading his nation in battle against the Philistines. God was directing Saul through the prophet Samuel.

Samuel instructed Saul to go on ahead of him to Micmash and wait. Samuel would join him in seven days to offer a burnt offering to the Lord. If you know the story, you know that pressure from the Philistines begins to build as they prepare for battle. The people of Israel are fearful and start to scatter. What is Saul to do? Where is Samuel? It has now been seven days!

Finally, King Saul, fearing the impending attack, took it upon himself to offer the burnt offering. At that very moment, guess who finally shows up? Samuel, and he isn't pleased. In fact he tells Saul that the kingship will be taken away and given to someone else. Indeed it was.

King Saul believed he needed to take control of the situation. He took matters into his own hands. In this case it was because of fear and impatience.

I have this tendency to want to control situations and people. From this story it shows me that the need comes from fear (of what others might say if not done a certain way) and impatience (what is taking so long? Let's Get 'R' Done). As a pastor this can be very tempting but I think I am finally learning that the only thing I can control is myself. In fact, that is a fruit of the Spirit (self-control). I cannot control what people say or the decisions they make. I cannot control who comes to a worship service or not. I cannot control who gets upset or their feelings hurt because of something someone else said or did. I cannot control what others think or say about me.

I can only control myself and how I respond to certain things. There is a great amount of freedom in that. I'm finding that when I begin to control things, it is because I am not trusting God to act in His time.

Here is a prayer from author Mark Elliott that I need to pray often:

Heavenly Father,
I am weak but you are strong. I am inconsistent but you never change. I am a sinner and you are my righteousness. I'm all about the destination but you are all about the journey. You have called me and are faithful to fulfill your ministry call and spiritual development in me. Therefore, I give you my sin, struggles, weaknesses, problems, and fears. I lay them at your feet. I am weary and heavily burdened. I come to you for rest, refreshing, and renewal. Give me a fresh measure of your joy that is my inner strength. I thank you God that your mercies for me are new every morning. I choose today to walk in your renewable strength, powerful presence, and jubilant joy. Thank you Jesus for being my all-in-all whenever I feel so down-and-out. The battle around me belongs to you so each day I gratefully deliver them in prayer to your capable hands. Thanks you for taking such good care of all that could burden me. Amen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very gracious

Anonymous said...

One must remember not to confuse controling ourselves with excusing ourselves

Anonymous said...

That makes no sense what the second "anonymous" said. Say more...