Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Combines, GPS, and God's Word

Yesterday I had the privilege of riding in a combine with one of our members. Upon driving out to his field to meet him, he told me that he would be three miles south and one mile west. (all directions are given that way in Nebraska). As I was trying to watch my odometer to see if I was getting close, it wasn't hard to spot him. I looked over to the west and all I could see was a huge cloud of dust moving about 6mph in the field. (It was a bit windy yesterday.) Sure enough, that was my friend. I parked my car and climbed aboard the big rig.

There are so many neat little gadgets in these things. Much of the equipment is computerized to tell you the yield per acre, how wet the beans are, etc. But the one gadget that was most needed that day was the GPS system. As we drove down the rows harvesting beans, the dust began to fly. It looked just like a blizzard only it wasn't snow that was flying - it was dust. (It reminded me of Kansas' song, "Dust in the Wind"). It was impossible to see where you were going. Thankfully, the GPS system was able to guide and direct the combine in a straight path until we got to the end of the row.

My friend said, "That would make a good sermon, wouldn't it?" I agreed. How often in life do we not know where we are going? Or we think we might know but we can't clearly see the path? Oftentimes, there is too much dust blowing in front of us and we don't know what dangers might lie ahead. Psalm 119:105 says, "God's Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path".

God's Word is our global positioning system. There will be numerous times in our life when we simply will not be able to see the path clearly. This verse says that God will guide us one step at a time. Our job is to rely on Him. Faith means moving ahead, trusting God when you can't see anything in front of you - kind of like my combine experience yesterday. (Thanks Barry)

No comments: