Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Great "Experience"

I spent the first part of last week at my Alma mater, Hesston College. I was invited to be Pastor-in-Residence which means you get to hang out with students, staff and faculty and just be available. I had a wonderful time. It was an honor to hear some of the prayer requests students had during our Sunday night Campus Worship. These were holy-ground moments as the students opened their hearts with concerns for themselves and loved ones. It was a thrill to be part of the Intro to Music Theory class as well as hear Bel Canto sing "The Way" in beautiful 4 part harmony. It brought tears to my eyes. I wish I would have recorded it!

I was impressed with the level of maturity and spiritual depth I saw in the Resident Assistants as well as the Ministry Assistants. (Keep hearing God speak to you in your devotional time). These people really do care about their student peers. They want to do the right thing. They want to be Christ-like examples. Wow - I hope when my kids come to Hesston that RA's will be just like you!

I enjoyed being part of Chapel. Thank you all for learning to KNOW, GO and SHOW THE WAY. (especially my thanks to Megan, Roxanne, Dave, June, and Sheralynn. Gary Oyer - you are still the best.) And I would be remiss if I didn't thank the wonderful ladies in the cafeteria for all of their hard work. (Tammy says hello)

There is something unique about Hesston College. There is an intimacy and a peace that you quickly experience from everyone. It's hard to describe. You just "feel" it. Maybe it's a Holy Spirit thing. While I was there I couldn't help but wonder about this and then it hit me; it has to be because of the MANY prayers offered to God on behalf of this place that makes it so unique. I have to believe that those who first attended Hesston prayed alot; not just for themselves but for all of those who would follow in their footsteps generations later. I believe that Hesston must have been bathed in prayer which is why (if you've ever attended HC), you know you've been part of something special: the Hesston Experience.

Thank you to Hesston College for another great experience!

No comments: