Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Why do you do what you do?

This Sunday's message may be hard for some of us. We've been talking about spiritual gifts. Every believer has at least one and it is to be used to glorify God and serve others. 1 Corinthians 12 says that we are not to be ignorant or uninformed about gifts, so we've been learning about them - but now in 1 Corinthians 13, the apostle Paul basically says that if we don't have love, the gifts are all worthless! Without love, it' s just a bunch of noise.

Personally, I know what my gifts are (maybe you do too), but unless I first and foremost love, the gifts don't mean diddly squat (that's a Greek word for "nothing"). I can preach the world's best sermon but if I don't have love, I might as well bang on a pot. I can help lead worship and pray God-focused prayers, but if I don't love, it's as if nothing ever happened.

Love is what should motivate me (us) to use whatever gift we've been given. Even if we don't know what our gift is yet, if we just start making love our highest goal, the gift will be revealed.

So I need to stop and ask myself: Why do I do what I do? What is my motivation for using the gifts God has given me?

No comments: