Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Soul Surfer movie

My family and I went to see the movie Soul Surfer this past weekend. Overall it was very good. Normally in "Christian" movies, the acting leaves much to be desired but not this time. The story line was very inspiring. It is the true story of Bethany Hamilton, a courageous young surfer who survived a shark attack and then went back to surfing. The movie is very intentional about sharing Bethany's strong faith.

But there's an interesting back-story to the film: As a committed Christian, Bethany and her family wanted to tell the story of her faith in Christ. The producers at Sony resisted including explicit Bible verses (they wanted to leave the references out) and about mentioning Jesus (God was less controversial). In the end, two Bible references made it into the movie:

Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV) For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11) and two references to Jesus made the movie's final cut.

Philippians 4:13 (NRSV) I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

No comments: