Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Life of a Pastor

August 2 marks three years since becoming a pastor. I am in the process of doing a pastor-congregational review to gauge how it's going. In three years, one thing I have learned is that pastoring is certainly not for the faint at heart. I have to rely on the verse that says, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". I definitely cannot do this on my own power (although I forget that sometimes). Here is something I came across last week that describes how pastors oftentimes feel:


"He must generate group enthusiasm as does a cheerleader of a disappointingly slow ballgame.

He feels the pressure to produce a winning team, as does the ball coach.

He is given the responsibility of leading but always from a servant position.

He must give three or more speeches each week to the same general group.

He must not be repetitious or boring. He must have fresh, up to-date materials and data. He must do it without a speechwriter or research team.

He must be approachable at all times regardless of his own personal desire to be left alone.

He must teach from a book studied and read by his students, yet must be fresh and informative.

He is a walking, talking, loving man of God, man of men, man of a family who is called “Pastor.”

He is trained to preach, to pastor, to administrate, but somewhere someone failed to give him the magic word, which changes him into “Captain Marvel.”

He is a man, a good man, but just a man. Without the grace of God his load would be too great and he would break…"


Sometimes the load feels too great, but just like God reminded Paul, "My grace is sufficient for you". Praise God for the power and daily renewal of grace.

1 comment:

sln said...

Congratulations and Sympathies on your three years:) I just finished my first year. So, spot on. Continue in the grace of God.