Sunday, June 12, 2011

Am I Really THAT Busy?

We had the opportunity to worship at a church in Lincoln today. One of the things the pastor said that hit home was that "people are not really that busy". I look around at people in my congregation and in my community and say "we ARE busy people". Just 12 days into my sabbatical I've noticed how busy I usually am. We are too busy - with other things; things other than God, but the pastor today said no.

Here's his point:
We can always make time for that which is really important to us.

Think about that. Whatever is important to us, we will drop everything to be there. We will put it on the top of our priority list. We will get up early so we don't miss it. We will miss doing or attending other things in order to be part of this thing that is important to us.

We are as busy as we choose to be. I know some people who feel trapped in their busyness. They feel like they have to be so busy in order to please everyone (their spouse, their kids, their co-workers, their pastor...and yes, even God), but the fact is we are not slaves or robots. We have the freedom to choose. You and I have the ability and the freedom to say either yes or no. This is called having boundaries.

So the next time you feel like you are just too busy, ask yourself "what is it about this project or event that is making me feel this way? Is it really THAT important? Is there something else MORE important that I should be doing? Or some other place I should be?"

No comments: