Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I Don't Always Get It

We had the opportunity to worship in Lincoln this past Sunday. While the setting seemed much more like a rock concert (smoke rising up from the dimly-lit stage as the worship team came up), I did manage to hear a word from the Lord. I was simply reminded that there are many times that God does something (or is doing something) that makes no sense to us in that moment. We question, "Lord what are you up to? I don't get this." But God asks us to just trust Him, to be patient. It's like the story in John 13. Jesus comes to Simon Peter to wash his feet and Peter doesn't get it - at all!. But Jesus says, "Hang in there. You will understand in a little bit." Sure enough, Peter gets it (for the most part. He goes a little overboard, but he gets it).

Here's my point: There are 3 learnings I'm reminded about God's way of doing things -

1. We will understand and see immediately what God is doing.
2. We will simply have to wait (days, months, years) before we know what God was up to.
3. We will never know (in this life) what God was doing because it will have played out in the next generation or maybe even much later.

My response? Stay faithful. Stay committed. Trust in the Lord with ALL my heart. Don't lose heart. God is good. His steadfast love endures forever.

No comments: