Friday, October 21, 2011

I Can See Clearly, but...

I've been a little cranky this week. Part of the problem is that I finally graduated to another level of "maturity". I got bifocals! I've been a grumpy old man all week. These things take some getting use to. I have to keep turning my head if I want to see clearly. I like the fact that I can now read again without having to bury my face in the text, but I am finding out that I can't just take these new lenses for granted. I have to actively focus and pay attention to what I'm looking at if I want to see clearly.

And that's the other part of my crankiness this week. I have been tempted to lose focus on doing the spiritual disciplines. Because I was in Ohio last weekend, I got out of my daily rhythm and it's showing. For me, spending time in daily silence and solitude help me to see things more clearly - but I have to focus. I have to be intentional. When I'm not, it's frustrating. I get upset easier - kinda like wearing these new bifocals. But if I stick with it long enough, I will be able to see clearly again. I will be able to see things from God's perspective.

Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart; Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art. Thou my best thought, by day or by night, Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light

No comments: