Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Simple but Powerful Prayer

I received a call from a dear pastor-friend yesterday that his wife has cancer...and wouldn't you know it - it's a rare kind that the doctors haven't seen before. As you might imagine, they are experiencing a range of emotions and questions. One thing my friend said was, "You know it's weird because we don't really have a pastor to walk with us and listen to us." That's true, although their congregation has been through this before, so some members will be able to relate.

I know my friend fairly well and he's like me - a fixer, a problem solver. I know he's wrestling with what all the options might be to to remedy this. But really, it's out of his hands. No matter if it's his wife or someone else, he is incapable of fixing or solving this. Now, that may sound hopeless, but it's not meant to. In fact, it's a statement of maturity and faith because God wants us to trust Him and surrender everything to Him. God wants to do a transforming work within us and the only way that can happen is if we allow Him.

I've said that Tammy and I pray every night, "Dear God, the Church is in your hands. I'm going to bed. Amen". This prayer is transforming because it brings about the peace of God that surpasses understanding. You can substitute "the Church" for anything that might feel like a burden or that you feel the need to control. Try it:

"Dear God, my job, my relationship with my spouse, my burden to want to control my kids, my grief over losing a loved one, my marriage, and yes, my spouse's cancer is in your hands. I'm going about my day (or I'm going to bed). Amen." You can pray this at the beginning and end of each day.

No comments: