Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Source of Security, Hope, and Encouragement

Psalm 139 has to be one of the most intimate scriptures in the whole Bible. I love how it shows the closeness of God to human beings. I was reminded this morning how much God loves me and wants me to allow Him to love me. It's hard for me to just "rest in God's love" because it sounds too girly or syrupy...It's not very manly-sounding, but that is just my pride and false self talking.

This scripture says that God knows EVERYTHING about me and loves me anyway! Who else would love us like that (if they knew everything about us)? That is something I really cannot grasp (and apparently neither could the psalmist) - but I want to because that knowledge is a great source of security, hope, and encouragement. Here is a little excerpt of Psalm 139:

Psalm 139:1-7 (NLT)
1 O LORD, you have examined my heart and know everything about me.
2 You know when I sit down or stand up. You know my every thought when far away.
3 You chart the path ahead of me and tell me where to stop and rest. Every moment you know where I am.
4 You know what I am going to say even before I say it, LORD.
5 You both precede and follow me. You place your hand of blessing on my head.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too great for me to know!
7 I can never escape from your spirit! I can never get away from your presence!

You can finish this on your own - with your Bible in hand and allow God to tell you personally how much He loves you, too!

No comments: